Freitag, 16. März 2012

Mixed Feelings

(deutsche Version unten)

It has not very often been as difficult for me to write a review as today. Because in terms of music and melodies the record „Helpless but not Hopeless“ by California's The Way is to my taste really the coolest release during the last months. Finally a Christian band whose sound is fit to hold a candle to Bad Religion! I am honestly taken with the high amount of fun factor that The Way are arousing here. For this I give them an A+.

Furthermore I very much appreciate The Way to broach the issue of their Christian faith in their songs. The support of Christian bands has always been part of Kirchencore Fanzine's purpose. Where could it be more appropriate than in Punk Rock for bands to hold an own world view? This liberty is only limited where it impends to limit the liberty of others.

And this brings us right to the point that causes me quite a stomach ache. Maybe the – musically brilliant – song „Abandonment Theology“ is exactly opposed to people who think like I do. Or maybe I just cannot understand it, because I am not an US-American. Either way this sort of demanding lament about society's moral decay makes me feel uneasy. It just makes no sense to me how American liberty could be protected by fighting homosexuality. A review is not the right place to raise a discussion about this issue. But it is the place where it has to be said that I listen to the record by this promising band from California with mixed feelings.


EIN LACHENDES UND EIN WEINENDES OHR

Nur selten ist es mir so schwer gefallen, ein Review zu schreiben, wie heute. Denn musikalisch ist die Platte „Helpless but not Hopeless“ von The Way aus Kalifornien für meinen Geschmack wirklich die coolste Veröffentlichung seit langem. Endlich mal eine christliche Band, die es im Sound mit Bad Religion aufnehmen kann! Ich bin echt davon angetan, was für einen hohen Spaßfaktor The Way hier produzieren. Dafür gibt es von mir eine 1+ mit Sternchen.

Außerdem finde ich es sehr sympathisch, dass The Way ihren christlichen Glauben in ihren Songs thematisieren. Die Unterstützung von christlichen Bands gehört schon immer zum Programm des Kirchencore-Fanzines. Wo könnte es angemessener sein als im Punk Rock, wenn Bands ihre Sicht auf die Welt haben und diese auch vertreten? Ihre Grenze hat diese Freiheit erst dort, wo sie die Freiheit anderer einzuschränken droht.

Und damit wären wir bei dem Punkt angelangt, der mir Bauchweh bereitet. Vielleicht richtet sich der – musikalisch großartige – Song „Abandonment Theology“ genau gegen Leute, die so denken, wie ich. Oder ich kann ihn deshalb nicht verstehen, weil ich kein US-Amerikaner bin. Jedenfalls verursacht mir diese sehr fordernde Klage über den moralischen Verfall der Gesellschaft regelrechtes Unwohlsein. Es will mir einfach nicht einleuchten, wie die amerikanische Freiheit gerade durch die Bekämpfung von Homosexualität gesichert werden sollte. Ein Review ist nicht der Ort, um dies zu diskutieren. Aber es ist der Ort, an dem gesagt werden muss, dass ich die Platte dieser sehr hoffnungsvollen Band aus Kalifornien mit einem lachenden und einem weinenden Ohr höre.

2 Kommentare:

  1. Hey,

    I found your blog through seaching christian punk/hardcore and european bands.

    I dont recall if I have heard The Way and I do not know how the lyrics to their song "Abandonment theology" go, but generally I can certainly relate to what you are saying here.
    The way I see it is that we as christians often concentrate too much on making things moral and right on our own might, instead of spreading The Gospel. I mean, I consider that all the change that has happened to me, is through the Grace of Christ. Sure, I have to acknowledge sin and turn to God for help, but I must not focus on my sins of the sins of some other people. That does not offer any hope.
    Thats the way I see it anyhow :)

    While not seen the lyrics of the song in question, I cannot say what my reaction to those lyrics would be, but I hope those guys can concentrate on whats essential. We all fall ashort, sometimes we fall to sin, sometimes we fall to the law. Either way, we need God to help us.

    Anyways, I think your blog seems very interesting and I try to keep up on checking it out!

    All the best,

    Kimmo from Finland

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hi Kimmo,

      it is good to hear that you found this site useful. Thank you for your comment.

      I have had a short email dialogue with one of the band's members, and I really believe that they have got their hearts in the right place. As far as I can see the song "Abandonment Theology" refers to a book with the same title by a certain John Chalfant whom I had never heard about before. To my mind this book really overstates the case when it promotes conservative politics in the cloak of Christian faith.

      Best wishes to the north
      Yours Nils

      Löschen